MIDI Guitar Controller | You Rock Guitar Forums YRG Gamer’s Board YRG gets 17-fret RB3 pro guitar charts–there’s a workaround

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of raynebc raynebc 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mtscott
    mtscott
    Participant

When you use the YRG to play RB3, you don't get the 22-fret versions of the charts, you get the 17-fret versions intended for the Mustang.  I posted a bug report about it on 5 May as follows:

Quote:
    Rock Band 3 pro guitar controllers emit a custom 18-byte MIDI Sysex message every second or so (possibly some sort of "keep-alive" message or just an instrument attributes report–whatever). This message takes two slightly different forms. The Squier outputs the sequence:

F0 08 40 08 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7

Whereas the Mad Catz Mustang RB3 pro guitar controller and YRG output:

F0 08 40 0A 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7

Note that the messages differ in the fourth byte: "08" for the Squier, "0A" for the YRG and Mustang.

The problem with this is that the Mustang has only 17 frets; because of that, there are different versions of the RB3 pro guitar charts for the Mustang and Squier, with the Mustang ones never using frets above 17 (if a riff goes up there, they transpose it to the lower octave). If you connect the YRG to the game you get the 17 fret charts (whereas the YRG has 22 frets, like the Squier guitar/controller). I could be wrong, but I believe that if the YRG were emitting the Squier's version of that Sysex message, the game would display the 22-fret pro guitar charts to users of the YRG.

To test this, observe the song "Crazy Train" (on RB3 disc) in practice mode, playing only the "Guitar Solo" section. (You don't need to play it–you just want to look at chart). First try it with nothing attached to a MIDI Pro Adapter–the solo quickly moves into the higher frets and ends with a couple of notes played on fret 19. Exit the game, attach the YRG to the MIDI Pro Adapter, restart the game and repeat the test (merely "dropping out", attaching the YRG and joining again might work, but just to be safe…). When you run the solo with the YRG attached, it will travel through some high frets but end in the low ones, finishing with a couple of notes played on fret 7.

Obviously the 22-fret version is closer to what the artist plays on the recording and users of the YRG would want to learn that version (if I may speak for all users of the YRG :D). Please consider fixing this, unless its intentional in which case please consider changing it.

Someone on the RockBand.com forums has identified a work-around:  start the game and don't put the YRG into RB3 mode until you start a song running.  If you just plug in the MIDI Pro Adapter by itself and start a pro chart running it will show the 22-fret version and if it's already doing that when the YRG turns on it will keep using the 22-fret charts.  (When you put the  YRG into RB3 mode, a message will come up asking you to reconnect the controller).  

See the discussion in the "will the yourockguitar.com guitar work with rb3?" thread in the RockBand.com forums, here.

Profile photo of OmniaUbique
    OmniaUbique
    Participant

Hello,
    I decided to top this topic for that I'm considering between Yourock and Mustang for rockband pro (ps3) instrument. I live in
    Europe and am anxiously waiting my Rocksmith preorder to ship. I know it might last forever for the legal issues. Rocksmith as far as I know has no bass charts. Nevertheless if there was, I would still consider controller for the rb3 pro charts for our family gameplay. We play guitar, bass, keys and sing.

Questions goes:
    [size=4pt]Solved--Is there difference between Gameflex and MadKatz adapters, for example the 17 frets issue above? We have realworld midi connected to ps3 with MadKatz. Solved[/size] Gameflex for 5 button play, MadKatz for rockband pro.
    -Can I have sound from Yourock simultaneously while gaming. The most annoying drawback in midi is that you can't hear wrong notes played. That really slows down learning, I mean attempting learn a real instrument.
    – Wrong place to ask, but please comparison between Mustang and Yourock. Squier is unavailable at this point forever.

Profile photo of raynebc
    raynebc
    Participant

I just purchased the gen. 2 YRG via the Kickstarter event.  Am I right to assume this problem was never fixed?  Have the engineers expressed any interest in fixing the problem?

Profile photo of SVH
    SVH
    Participant

These are some good questions. I know a ton about the YRG but very little about it in terms of gaming as I'm not a gamer at all but I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Profile photo of raynebc
    raynebc
    Participant

As you are a moderator, I should assume that if you aren't aware of any plans for a fix, they haven't mentioned any to you?  Should I open a support case to ask about the matter?  The solution is literally as easy as changing 1 byte out of the 18 byte message the guitar sends out every 3 seconds so that the game detects a 22 fret guitar instead of a 17 fret guitar.

Profile photo of Skyeline
    Skyeline
    Participant
    Quote:
    As you are a moderator, I should assume that if you aren't aware of any plans for a fix, they haven't mentioned any to you?  Should I open a support case to ask about the matter?  The solution is literally as easy as changing 1 byte out of the 18 byte message the guitar sends out every 3 seconds so that the game detects a 22 fret guitar instead of a 17 fret guitar.

This has not been changed as of yet. By default the guitar is still seen as having 17 frets.

I know the issue was looked at before in the past, but I'm unsure as to what was concluded about it. I'll look into it and see what I can figure out as time permits.

Profile photo of raynebc
    raynebc
    Participant

I believe there was speculation that originally, the YRG did not send this periodic Sysex message, so the game assumed 22 frets as per the default when the MIDI Pro Adapter is connected to the game with no MIDI guitar attached.  Then after a firmware update, the YRG began to send the 17 fret Mustang guitar sysex identifier:

The 22 fret Squier guitar designed for use with Rock Band 3's Pro Guitar mode uses this identifier instead:

An user-option to send either message would be nice, since Harmonix authors an additional 17 fret transcription for every pro guitar chart that uses frets higher than 17, and offers whichever of the two is suitable for which of the two guitars the user has connected (based on the identifier it receives from the guitar).

Profile photo of Skyeline
    Skyeline
    Participant
    Quote:
    I believe there was speculation that originally, the YRG did not send this periodic Sysex message, so the game assumed 22 frets as per the default when the MIDI Pro Adapter is connected to the game with no MIDI guitar attached.  Then after a firmware update, the YRG began to send the 17 fret Mustang guitar sysex identifier:

The 22 fret Squier guitar designed for use with Rock Band 3's Pro Guitar mode uses this identifier instead:

An user-option to send either message would be nice, since Harmonix authors an additional 17 fret transcription for every pro guitar chart that uses frets higher than 17, and offers whichever of the two is suitable for which of the two guitars the user has connected (based on the identifier it receives from the guitar).

I'm quite unqualified to comment on the accuracy of that speculation. I stay pretty far away from the programming side of things since I'm primarily doing customer support. =)

However, I'll make sure to bring it up with our software engineer. I'll also bring up the idea of having a 17 fret vs. 22 fret option. It sounds like something that would be worked on somewhere fairly far down the line if it's doable. We're going to be very busy with the YRG Pro in the coming months.

Profile photo of raynebc
    raynebc
    Participant

As a hobbyist programmer and computer/rhythm game enthusiast, I can assure you those Sysex messages and how they are treated by Rock Band 3 is accurate.  I just don't know if the first RB3 pro capable firmware release sent an identifier, or if it was added in a separate firmware release.  If Inspired would prefer not to go to the trouble of making it a toggle-able option to identify as a Mustang versus a Squier, fixing that one byte of the ID message would make it much more convenient for those that use the YRG for playing pro guitar.  The easiest workaround currently is to trick the game by not connecting the YRG to the console (via the MIDI pro adapter) until a chart is already playing.  Another workaround would probably be something as complicated as running the YRG output through a computer application that filtered out the ID message and sent the correct one, as well as passing all the other MIDI communication through as-is.

Profile photo of SVH
    SVH
    Participant

Yeah if there is a way to fix it in an update I'm sure they will do all they can to make it happen.

Profile photo of raynebc
    raynebc
    Participant

If I can fix the message myself, I'm definitely game to try it.  Are the firmwares stored in an encrypted/signed/compressed format or is it just a raw binary image?  If it's the latter I could probably just search for the hex string and modify the one byte in a hex editor.

Profile photo of SVH
    SVH
    Participant
    Quote:

Sorry I think I missed this reply originally. Hopefully the answers provided have sufficiently answered that for now. Thanks

Profile photo of raynebc
    raynebc
    Participant

If they don't want to release a firmware to do this, could they perhaps make it an option in the Gen 2 control panel when it comes out?  All I'd request for this is a radio button to set the pro guitar mode functionality to either 17 or 22 frets, and all it would have to do is change that one byte of the repeating Sysex message to suit.

Profile photo of raynebc
    raynebc
    Participant

Did this bug ever get fixed?

Profile photo of Trig Damiiu
    Trig Damiiu
    Participant

Hi Raynebc

I believe that the fix you suggested was tried last year sometime, but did not work. I will review it with Engineering to see what happened.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar