This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Spinland Spinland 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is it possible to use a USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle on the YRG 1000 Gen 2 for Midi connection?

Just ordered my unit today with the Radius neck. Waiting for it to ship.

Profile photo of gstik
    gstik
    Keymaster

Hi There in principle it should work – you will have to power the YRG with batteries.  One of the issues with bluetooth for performance is that there is a significant latency so that may present a problem.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

“in principle it should work – you will have to power the YRG with batteries.  One of the issues with bluetooth for performance is that there is a significant latency so that may present a problem.”

That was my thinking. I mean, I looked at everything involved and my tiny brain said it should work. The thinking was portability and convenience. I have zero experience using Bluetooth or WiFi for midi, although I have several apps I acquired that do. Yet to use them in that capacity.

It had occurred to me also, that a powered USB hub could help. This was mentioned to someone who was discussing the efficacy of using rechargeable batteries to power the YRG 1000. I believe you suggested using one of the USB lithium ion battery packs that are out there right now to power the hub.

When I get the unit, I will try it and post the results. Thanks for the prompt input

Profile photo of gstik
    gstik
    Keymaster

Hi, Yes the powered hub should work as well. I guess you will have a few things hanging off the YRG, maybe they can be conveniently attached to the strap or something like that.

Keep us posted we are very interested to know how the bluetooth module works.

Profile photo of gstik
    gstik
    Keymaster

I was just looking at USB/Bluetooth dongles and I can only find the receiver type (the part that would plug in to the PC). Do you have a link for a transmitter (the part that would plug into the YRG) so that I can look at the specs. BTW I have never seen one of these and looking online – it may not exist.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of gstik gstik.
    Profile photo of Boscovec
    Boscovec
    Participant

Hey, I’m back. I had to delete my original profile to register my you rock guitar. When I originally created the profile I didn’t have it yet to register. When I got it, that field in the profile wasn’t available to enter the number/code.

I’ve had it now a couple of weeks and discovered I really need to clean up my playing and take the time to try and adjust it to my playing as well. But when I bought the device, I accepted that this would just go with the territory. I used to play professionally for a number of years and then due to family demands, put the instrument playing aside for about 15 years.

“Use it or lose it” as the saying goes, and my chops are pretty rusty, but my brain still hears my chops from 15 years ago. Kind of disappointing initially.

Anyway I found USB 4.0 transmitters and receivers on Amazon. They range in price from under $10 to over $100.

It also occurred to me that I could simply use an iPhone to send the same information. One thing that’s taken a bit of getting used to, is using the pitch bend bar for note bend information and vibratos. The iPhone has an accelerometer to capture that. I am going to try using ThumbJam or TC-Data for that to get closer to what I am used to with my style of playing.

I also have some old iPhone 4S’s laying around that were not traded in when they were upgraded on my plan. I have a great plan and have multiple family members on it. The old iPhones aren’t on a plan, but still be used like an iPod. I have already played with using one as as security camera.

I also haven’t gotten used to reaching for the controller knob/joystick or even using it yet. I plan to get the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Footcontroller and incorporate that for controlling other apps, etc. I could use the expression pedals and/or self programmed presets to help with that as well.

Also considered using a force sensitive resistor connected to the mute “wire” on the tail piece and a grounding wrist strap for muting. I am planning on sampling my Strat and other guitars and loading them into either Music Studio or ThumbJam; use the mute controller information to switch between open note samples and muted samples in the form of patch or channel switching.

One of the first things I did after getting Music Studio, was create patches with my favorite Fairlight CMI and Mellotron samples.

So, as you can see I have a few backlogged ideas to try out. I plan to try all of them eventually but I am also backlogged with “irons in the fire” responsibilities so to speak, so the methodical trial and error efforts necessary to figure out what does and doesn’t work, will take a while.

I appreciate the interest you showed in this. I plan to post whatever results I have obtained, for better or worse, to the forum so that anyone might benefit.

This is also a rather lengthy post, too. I had a lot of thoughts but just got around to scribbling them here and there are plenty more I didn’t.

If anyone reads any of this and has suggestions, thoughts, tried it before, etc.; I would like to read them.

I think that’s enough for now.

————-

Boscovec

Profile photo of gstik
    gstik
    Keymaster

Hi – remember that the YRG’s main use is to play other instruments. So in some ways it’s a completely new set of chops – in fact you have to make adjustments for every different sound that you play in order to be convincing. I usually recommend to experienced guitar players that if they want to play guitar they should do that – and use the YRG for everything else.

Great idea for the note switching – we have looked at some similar ideas, but not implemented.
    One thing for sure it should be great to play the Mellotron samples

Profile photo of Boscovec
    Boscovec
    Participant

Adjusting my playing to match the instrument was not lost on me. The YRG is much more sensitive and precise in many aspects. Knowing that I would have to “clean up” my playing to get something listenable was something I was aware of prior to purchase. It part of what influenced my purchase as I knew some of my playing was a bit sloppy. However, most people would never notice as the nature of an “analog” guitar could make that more forgiving. In rock and its many derivatives, these aspects often would be considered as adding “character”.

But as my own biggest critic, I knew and felt otherwise. However experiencing that reality is a bit more humbling. Hence the remark of how I remembered sounding versus what I actually sound like now. I had been playing my Strat before this purchase and recognized it, too. But the difference was more stark with the YRG as some of that “less precise” technique resulted in extra unintended note triggers or the lack of them.

I have been having a good time playing with sitar and koto samples and using the pitch bend bar for some of the characteristic semitone pitchbends frequently used in the styles of traditionally playing those instruments, became much more natural after while.

But it is a different instrument and I have to tighten up my playing as well as better familiarize myself with it at the same time. Earlier this week, I had been digging around for my paper copy of Segovia’s Diatonic Scales to practice on the YRG to better establish muscle memory on THIS instrument. However it can’t do string or pick harmonics just from playing technique. That is where equipment and patch or channel switching will help.

Keyboard players have used pitch bend and modulation wheels for years and the way those controllers respond is something they are used to. Using a whammy bar or string bending would be less intuitive at first for them as well I imagine, but they would adjust to it over time. When I first got ThumbJam, tilting the iPhone away from me and getting a rise in pitch was a little disconcerting as pushing down on a whammy bar drops your pitch. So I reversed the axis response and it was more natural. But to a keyboard player, tilting the iPhone forward and away from you would be more analogous rolling a pitch wheel forward (and away from you) and getting a rise in pitch.

My Arp Axxe was the first keyboard for me to experience that phenomenon as a guitarist. If I get the iPhone accelerometer idea to work, it still won’t be the same as string bending on many levels. Using string bending for a vibrato below the 5th fret involves slightly more effort on a mechanical guitar versus the effort at or above the 12th fret. Where I plan to have the iPhone for this purpose would be close to the center of the axis of rotation. So a vibrato effort below the 5th fret might have to be very exaggerated to yield the sound I would be after; whereas above the 12th fret might provide more axis rotation than the effort I would be accustomed to. I would have to adjust my playing and to some degree tweak the information the accelerometer puts out as well, to fit the instrument. It might prove to be so unworkable, I give up or “discover” a new type of sound.

I guess it sounded like I had issue with playing the YRG “just like a guitar”. It is “guitar like” and conceptually I understood that, but experiencing it first hand was a bit different than the concept. As I led with that thought, it might have come off that way. Not the case at all. I have had a great deal of fun just horsing around with the thing, playing with my emulated synths on my iPad, and playing some of the samples I have acquired over the years, and learning things along the way.

In my eyes, reaching Nirvana is not as rewarding as the journey. Or to quote Motorhead: “The chase is better than the catch.”

This was another lengthy post and I have some other things to get to, short term. Some time tomorrow I will post some of the USB 4.0 dongles (receivers and transmitters) I found, after I quench a few of the “irons in the fire”. My brother just now reminded me that the 6 plus (my every day device) actually produces 9 axis of information between the accelerometer, gyrometer, and magnetometer. He is not a musician but finds the YRG interesting because he is an electrical engineer. He hears ten times what you are hearing from me now on an almost daily basis, but the trade off is I get to hear about the idiosyncrasies of designing gas meters for the mining industry.

Again, that’s enough for now. I will try to make any future posts far more concise.

Boscovec

Profile photo of jorgertrias
    jorgertrias
    Participant

This is the solution:

mi.1 from Quiccosound

http://www.amazon.com/QUICCO-SOUND-Wireless-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00PEFOOFI

You need a MIDI cable in-out to extend the output from the guitar, because the plug does not fit all, but I’ve tested and both IOS as MAC recognize the device as a Bluetooth LE MIDI

jorgertrias
    Participant

See the picture:

mi.1 with YRG

jorgertrias
    Participant
    Profile photo of Spinland
    Spinland
    Participant

Hi, guys! Going to resurrect this thread because I have essentially the same question as the OP but their Amazon link leads to a product no longer available (according to Amazon) and the photo I most wanted to see says the URL has expired.

I recently acquired a Gen 2 YRG-1000 with the Radius neck, and am loving it to pieces. I mainly play it over USB through Logic Pro X (on a MacBook Pro with SSD) and a gazillion different instruments, and I’d love to work up a way that I could do so untethered.

To the OP (or anyone else who’s tried this): how has it been performing? Could you share more current info on how I might be able to pull this off? A hub connected to the laptop would be no issue, my main desire is simply for the YRG itself to be untethered. I already have a corral full of rechargeable battery packs for the guitar itself. Some small dongle I have to tape to the back of the YRG would be fine.

Many thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Spinland
    Spinland
    Participant

Okay, gonna answer myself, mostly. The device linked above is available, just not that link. They’re up to rev 3 and Amazon does carry it. I noticed the issue with the plug not fitting and needing an extender cable; I found a competing product for essentially the same price from Yamaha that looks like it’ll fit as is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CFOHF6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered one from Amazon and will have it to experiment with early next week. I’ll post my experiences with it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar