This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jandex Jandex 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jandex
    Jandex
    Participant

Hi there!

I just bought my YRG Gen 2 and it is amazing!

I just have one question for now: Is there a way to do palm mutes?

I didn’t hear any diference in the sound of the internal samples when strumming with my hand touching the mute bar.

I also connected my YRG to a virtual guitar synthesizer VST on my mac , and configured two guitar sounds, one open and other muted. I wish I could switch from open to muted sound when touching the mute bar, but it seems that the mute bar don’t send any midi signal.

Is there a way to do palm mutes?? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Profile photo of gstik
    gstik
    Keymaster

Hi, The mute bar only sends MIDI note off and also turns off notes in the internal synthesizer. There is no way to affect the timbre as in regular guitar palm muting.

The best way to get a palm mute effect is to configure your software synth to switch samples at different velocity levels, then if you pick softly you can get the muted signal and picking harder, get the normal guitar sound. This will also take a bit of practice to get working consistently.

Profile photo of Jandex
    Jandex
    Participant

Hi thanks for the answer.

Yes, I tried using velocity intervals to switch between timbres. But it is very imprecise and hard to do it right.

The mute bar would be perfect for this if it just send something like expression signal. Or like a button switch. For now I will try a workaround for this, like sticking a button above the bar or something like that hehehe

Will YRG-Pro have palm mute feature? I think it is a must have for guitarists.

Profile photo of gstik
    gstik
    Keymaster

Remember that the switches behind the bridge and the joystick can be assigned custom controller values if that helps you. It probably would not be too difficult to add the ability for the mute bar to send out a custom controller number. I will add that to the wish list.

Profile photo of dathyr1
    dathyr1
    Participant

Hi guys,

Just adding to your conversations.  I just recently bought OrangeTrees “Evolution Stratosphere Guitar” program which provides allot of features and sounds.  You do need full version of Kontakt.  He created a whole new Kontakt GUI engine for this program. On the main tab of the program it has half palm mute and Full palm mute feature along with many other features and can be layered and activated by velocity, keyswitch, or controller.  I just recently bought this program and still learning what its possibilities are for the YRG guitar and I also play keyboard.   I have tried one of the patches that are setup up velocity wise and you are right, you have to be pretty good to control the sounds the way  you want between the sustain and mute.  Havent tried the contoller approach with the program, still having fun testing and playing all the preset sounds which are just over 50 different ones.

If interested, go to Orangetree Samples and watch all his tutorials on this Stratosphere program. It is the only one with these new features so far.

He said on the VI music forum he may be going back and converting some of his other existing guitar programs to this new Kontakt Engine.  I know allot of these type of programs are designed with keyboardists or computer DAW composers in mind, but I find it is fun to use with the YRG guitar.

Just some added information for you.  Take care,

Dave

Profile photo of dathyr1
    dathyr1
    Participant

I did a quick acid test by setting the “sustain mode” in Evolution Stratosphere to “velocity” and set it from 70 to 127. I  set the “Half Palm Mute” mode in Stratosphere to work my keyboard “Sustain controller pedal”.   Works quite well.  With my keyboard sustain pedal off, I will always get the regular guitar sustain sound.  Soon as I press down on my keyboard sustain pedal, it quickly switches over and kicks in the Palm Mute Guitar sound, the sustain mode is then off.  It seems to be pretty controllable all depending how fast your foot works with the sustain pedal. Plus I have both hands to play the guitar at all times.  Cool stuff.

Anyway, just one way to do Palm Muting.   The Evolution program has Full Palm Mute, Half Palm Mute, and just Mute modes plus many other guitar modes.  Explained above gives me an overall mute for all the guitar strings, to do individual strings such as muting certain strings for complex chords is another story and not sure if can be done.

Thought I would pass this along.

take care,

Dave

Profile photo of dathyr1
    dathyr1
    Participant

Hello,

I would like to add/pass on one more item far as controlling palm muting or any feature that is CC controllable while playing the YRG guitar.  I just purchased the SoftStep 2 midi foot controller from Keith McMillen Instruments.  This unit is an upgrade from their original SoftStep unit. What it provides is 10 footswitches that control midi CC information, Notes, and any other items for controlling my virtual instruments on my computer.  The cost of the unit is $200.00.   The unit connects to the computer via USB and can be setup up any midi channel.  It comes with a basic and advanced editor to change the individual footswitches and can load and save my presets.  Also my expression pedal can be plugged into the unit for additional control.  Their are no midi outputs on the SoftStep, I would have to by another optional little expansion module to tie to Synths, etc. Not sure of cost.

There is so much to this unit far as what you can control, you have to go to their website to read about it.  Should be  a great controller unit for doing stuff live or composing playing to my DAW.

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/

I had the unit delivered to where I work so I have to pick it this morning, and I will be installing and testing the unit later today.  I should be able to do my sustain pedal, controlling note keyswitches, and turning on and off guitar features-parameters  of any various virtual libaries.

Will give just a little more feedback on this unit after I try it today.   Again just another tool in controlling how we want to play.  Cool Stuff to work along with the YRG Guitar.

take care,

Dave

Profile photo of dathyr1
    dathyr1
    Participant

Oops  sorry about one thing.  The cost of the SoftStep 2 is $299.00.

Dave

Profile photo of dathyr1
    dathyr1
    Participant

Little more information on the SoftStep 2 foot controller.

This may be a little expensive, but preliminary acid tests, I feel the unit works very well for what I need. I will use it for my Computer sound libraries and have tested it with some Kontakt Instruments.

When I first opened up the box and felt the switches, which are kind of a rubberized type switch or more of a solid pad, I thought I would have to press down pretty hard to get them to work.  But not at all, I just have to lightly touch the pads and they do the particular function. You can actually do them with your fingertips.

I find the 10 Pad/Switches are a little close to each other for my size 13 feet but are manageable, and dont use shoes that the toes bow up in the front like my Nike shoes.  The Pads are well lit up, numbers easy to read, and could be used in the dark if need be.

Programming with the Basic editor is pretty simple.

Only thing I will still use is my keyboard sustain pedal for doing sustains with the YRG.  I find right now the SoftStep 2 pads are not quick enough to do what I want to do.

The SoftStep 2 is great for toggling in and out guitar features, Great for Toggling on/off notes for certain sound libraries that have keyswitches(always wondered there was a way to control those while playing the YRG.  And another thing I would use them for right away is to mute/unmute different sound patches for layering etc by turning on or off the Volumes.  And with the Volumes I can set the level to go to when on.   I havent set any of the pads to be pressure sensitive so dont know how that will work as a foot control.

Still learning what it can do, but so far it has worked very well.  If I ever get my video camera going, Ill take some short videos of how the SoftStep 2 and my Akai MPK25 helps me with my YRG guitar.

take care,

Dave

Profile photo of Jandex
    Jandex
    Participant

Thanks for the replies!

Sorry, dathyr1,  but I think you are deviating from the topic. I know I can use pedals and foot switches combined with softwares to simulate palm mutes.  But my question was about being able to palm mute with the YRG alone in a similar way I would do with a regular guitar.

I will be looking forward for a firmware update that would let the mute bar to send custom midi signal.

Thanks!

Profile photo of dathyr1
    dathyr1
    Participant

Sorry for my replies.   If I talk any more about  this I will start another thread.

Good luck in getting what you need.

Dave

Profile photo of Jandex
    Jandex
    Participant

Any news on that topic??

Thanks!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar